mdina cathedral2 pageOriginally constructed during the middle ages, the Mdina Cathedral was to undergo a massive restructuring at the end of the 17th century. The earthquake which struck Mdina on 11th January 1693 was a beneficial to the rebuilding process, since the Cathedral Chapter had already approved plans for the vision of a new Cathedral church, and thus the damage from the earthquake actually aided in the rebuilding of the new. Bishop Fra Davide Cocco Palmeri officially laid the foundation stone of the new Cathedral. Built on a Latin-cross plan by the chief architect of the church Lorenzo Gafà, the Mdina Cathedral comprises all the architectural credentials of the prototypical late-sixteenth century Roman Baroque church. The interior consists of a nave with three bays and aisle chapels, and wide transepts which are terminated by symmetrical chapels. The main façade has relatively squat proportions with the width being approximately equal to the height of the twin towers which are not typical of contemporary Roman Baroque churches. The architecture of the towers was influenced by a number of churches in Andalucia and Aragon in Spain. On the façade Gafà superimposed a bold entablature with Corinthian pilasters below and Composite pilasters on the second storey. The main architectural highlight of the Cathedral is the perfect hemispherical dome and its distinctive sculptural qualities which creates an imposing presence in skyline of the entire citadel.

An architectural drawing of the Cathedral may be seen by following this link.


Mdina Biennale Venues